About Lou – Sports Massage Therapist
I’m a sports massage therapist, qualified since 2009 with a Diploma in Sports Massage from the Southern School of Massage Therapy. I’m a Level 4 member of the Sports Massage Association and registered with the Complimentary & National Healthcare Council. I’m also a UK Athletics level 2 running coach, and have an MSc in Obesity and Weight Management and a Postgraduate Certificate in Human Nutrition.
My interest in sports massage arose from my marathon running. Regular massage always helped me recover from heavy training and prepare for the next onslaught. I’m evangelistic about it – because it works!
I’m also a certified health coach, registered with the UK Health Coaches Association working both with private individuals and corporately. I focus on diet and weight management, together with things that are often associated with weight problems such as stress and poor sleep.
Find out whether I could help you or your workplace at Lou Walker Health Coaching.
Areas of interest and experience
- Any sport, but I have a particular interest and experience with runners, swimmers, cyclists and triathletes.
- Fascia (connective tissue that forms a 3D infrastructure throughout our bodies) is fascinating. It can be the key to helping people regain mobility and flexibility, even when they have been struggling for years.
- Junior athletes and young people. A specialised approach is needed when working with young people and children. An adult known to the young person must always be present when someone under the age of 16 is being massaged.
- Musicians and singers – who often suffer from postural issues and repetitive strain issues.
- Nutrition for athletic endurance performance and general health. As a health coach, I work with organisations to help improve their working environment to enhance employee health. While doing my masters, I conducted the first academic research study into workplace cake culture and now speak at conferences and corporate events about the topic. In fact, I’m probably the world’s expert on the topic! Watch my TEDx talk on workplace cake culture.
- Physical inactivity and sedentary behaviour, alongside our increasing obesity problem, is a huge issue in the UK. In my corporate health and wellbeing work I help people understand the value of movement in every day life.
- Sleep. Sleep is an under-valued commodity, but increasingly research shows the value of all of us getting at least seven hours’ sleep a night.
- Member of Winchester & District Athletics Club (WADAC)
- UKA Level 2 athletics coach at Winchester & District AC, coaching senior endurance athletes
- Enhanced-level DBS check (March 2017)
- Current first aid certificate (February 2018)
- Mental health first aider (June 2018)
- BSc (Hons) Human Biology
- Six marathons plus the Moonwalk
- Three ironman-distance triathlons (Challenge Roth, 2010, Ironman Regensburg, 2011 and The Outlaw, 2012)
- I’m an open water swimmer, swimming non-wetsuit in local rivers and the sea all year round. I was part of a successful English Channel relay crossing in 2013 and have since completed several marathon swims including across Torbay, round Brownsea Island, the River Dart and around the Scilly Isles in a day.
£50 per one hour session
(£45 for Winchester and District Athletics Club (WADAC) members)
Daytime: Monday to Friday, from 6:15am
Evenings: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays up to 7pm